“The Loreto Holy House is the first Sanctuary of International importance dedicated to the Virgin and the true Marian heart of Christianity”. (Pope John Paul II)
On the basis of a former ancient tradition and latter historical and archaeological researches, it is confirmed indeed that the Loreto Sanctuary keeps the Nazarene House of Mary.
The construction of the Holy house began in 1468, but it was finished only towards the seventeenth century and completed with the bell tower by Luigi Vanvitelli in 1755. The best architects of the time worked there: Baccio Pontelli, Bramante, Andrea Sansovino, Giuliano da Sangallo and Antonio da Sangallo the Younger.
It is estimated that around 4 million visitors come to the Holy House every year to pay homage to the original house of Mary.